The Writers Lab is a four-day script development workshop that gives women screenwriters over 40 the opportunity to work intensively on their feature film scripts with the support of established writers, directors, and producers. The retreat takes place near NYC, but in the countryside: beautiful and private locations that minimize distractions and promote creativity and confidence. Through one-on-one meetings, panel discussions, guest speakers, and group meals, Mentors and Writers engage in a rigorous process that provides support in both the craft and commerce of screenwriting.
Applications are now closed for 2020.
Check back in February 2021 for information.
- Applicants must be female and at least 40 years old, that is, born on or before October 1, 1981.
- We are now accepting scripts internationally.
- Submissions must be feature-length narrative scripts in English. (No script fragments, treatments, synopses, TV scripts, shorts, stage plays, book excerpts, or documentaries.)
- Scripts by more than one writer will be considered, but all writers must be women or trans women over 40, and only one writer can attend The Lab.
- Applicants may submit up to three (3) scripts, with a separate application for each script submitted.
- The Lab seeks a broad selection of screenplays across all genres of fiction (drama, comedy, horror, action, thriller, science fiction, animation, musical, etc.). Scripts may be about any topic and do not specifically need to be about women.
- The Lab seeks submissions from all racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural groups.