The Writers Lab is a four-day writer’s workshop that gives women screenwriters over 40 the opportunity to work intensively on their feature film scripts with the support of established writers, directors, and producers. The retreat takes place near NYC, but in the countryside: beautiful and private locations that minimize distractions and promote creativity and confidence. Through one-on-one meetings, panel discussions, guest speakers, and group meals, Mentors and Writers engage in a rigorous process that provides support in both the craft and commerce of screenwriting.
DeadlinesThe Writers Lab is now OPEN for submissions.
- $50.00 Regular Deadline - March 23, 2017 (11:59pm EST)
- $65.00 Late Deadline - March 30, 2017 (11:59pm EST)
- $35.00 NYWIFT, other WIF chapters*, and WGA members Deadline - March 30, 2017 (11:59pm EST) *(Members of other Women in Film chapters must provide proof of membership via a letter from their chapter's staff or Board President.)
- Applicants must be female and at least 40 years old, that is, born on or before March 30, 1977.
- Applicants must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- Submissions must be feature-length narrative scripts in English. (No TV scripts, shorts, plays, book excerpts, or documentaries.)
- Scripts by more than one writer will be considered, but all writers must be female, and only one writer can attend The Lab.
- Applicants may submit up to three (3) scripts, with a separate application for each script submitted.
- The Lab seeks a broad selection of screenplays across all genres of fiction (drama, comedy, horror, action, thriller, science fiction, animation, etc.). Scripts may be about any topic and do not specifically need to be about women.
- The Lab seeks submissions from all racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural groups.
RequirementsThe following materials are required for your application and must be submitted electronically:
- Contact Information
- Log line
- PDF of a feature-length narrative screenplay
- Register your script with the Writers Guild, if it is not already registered. Registration is quick and easy and the Writers Guild East has generously offered the discounted price of $17 to Lab applicants who are not members of the Guild. Registration will protect you and The Lab staff and volunteers. Choose the Student and NYWIFT/The Writers Lab option. Register at the WGA East website.
- The script must be in PDF format. PDFs must be labeled with the project name only. DO NOT include the name of the screenwriter(s) ANYWHERE on the PDF.
- Complete the electronic application (link at the top of this page) filling in ALL fields. You will be asked to complete questions in text boxes on the web application. We recommend that you draft your answers, then cut and paste the final text once it has been completed to your satisfaction. Text boxes include space for:
- Application form: Name, email address, contact phone number, mailing address, birth date, script genre, log line.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee. (Members of other women in film chapters must provide proof of membership via a letter from their chapter's staff or Board President.)