The inaugural Writers Lab took place in upstate New York from Friday, September 18th, through Sunday, September 20th.
The night before the trip to Wiawaka (far right), the 8 mentors and 12 writers (below) gathered in New York City, attending a magical rooftop cocktail party hosted by the Writers Guild of America, East. The next morning, the group traveled together to the southeastern edge of Lake George, where Wiawaka is located.
Over the course of three cool, late-summer days, the participants met in various configurations: one-on-one; in panel discussions; in small groups; over cocktails; and throughout meals. Discussion topics ranged from crafting strong openings for films to tips for pitching to producers. The writers quickly connected, and the attachments have continued beyond the retreat itself.
The mentors shared knowledge freely; they were all exceptionally forthcoming and insightful about the commerce of screenwriting, but also about honest writing and skillful storytelling. In the private serene environment of Wiawaka, every person felt at ease and able to focus, listen, and learn. View Gallery
- Sarah Bird Austin, Texas
- Vanessa Carmichael Los Angeles, California
- Tracy Charlton Mill Valley, California
- Kellen Hertz Los Angeles, California
- Anna Hozian Naperville, Illinois
- Lyralen Kane Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
St. John the Divine in Iowa
- Jan Kimbrough Valley Village, California
The Glastonbury Cow Party
- Billie Jo Mason Simi Valley, California
- Peres Owino Inglewood, California
- Gretchen Somerfeld Los Angeles, California
- Janet Stilson New York, New York
- Kim Turner Mandeville, Louisiana
Christy’s Got Cancer