The Writers Lab.
Congratulations to the 12 writers selected to attend the 2018 Lab.
Billie Bates, Spirit Halloween
Catherine Craig, Suspended Belief
Nadia Fares, Diplomatic Corps
Avra Fox-Lerner, Lady Kate
Lynn Esta Goldman, On the Wing
Pippa Hinchley, One White Crow
Teisha Hickman, Sundays and Mondays
Ann Hawker, An Austrian Holiday
Shelagh McLeod, Nexus
Cornelia Ravenal, On the Blade
Gail Segal, Lila Rose
Shelley Thompson, Dawn, Her Dad & the Tractor
The 2018 Writers Lab took place at WIAWAKA, on Lake George, NY, from Wednesday, September 26, to Saturday, September 29.
The Lab is an intensive four-day script development retreat for women screenwriters over 40.
Meeting one on one and in panels with outstanding female film professionals, as well as in peer groups and directed discussion sessions, talented writers examine and refine their work while building a unique and powerful community.
Selections are blind and based solely on the merit of the screenplay submitted. We welcome all genres of narrative feature-length scripts:
• from women who have a compelling story and a cinematic vision.
• from women with or without previous industry experience.
• from women open to feedback and revision.
• from women eager to forge career-building peer relationships.
• from women of any country who have written an English language feature-length narrative screenplay.
• from women of all racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural groups.
The Writers Lab congratulates 2017 Participant VIGIL CHIME on her Nicholl Fellowship win!
“I thought the energy and passion for the retreat was right on, the sense of community building. Everyone had a great attitude.”
— Meg LeFauve, Lab Mentor
“I moved forward knowing there are sisters before me pulling, sisters behind me pushing, and sisters beside me kicking butt and taking names.”
— Peres Owino, Lab Participant
“It was like getting an x-ray of my work that showed exactly which bones were out of alignment.”
– Sarah Bird, Lab Participant